Enter your email address:

“How to Make a Wine Bottle Torch”

While browsing the interwebs, I got lost in the addictive vortex they call Pinterest. If you want to see where I’ve been wasting my time you can check out my Pins. Anyhow, I saw a very beautiful wine bottle that was turned into a torch and I thought it was enchanting. Since my brother has been visiting me, and since he is the most handy person I know, we did this craft project together. And now at night I relish the beautiful flames swaying in the pitch black of my deck.

Here is how you make ‘em, you just will not regret this.

You will need the following for 1 bottle, multiply by the number of torches you want to make:

• A wine bottle (I got mine from West Elm which were a little thinner than a wine bottle)
  • Threaded 3/8-16 inch threaded rod (I got mine from Home Depot)
  • Nylon thread seal tape (I got mine from Home Depot)
  • 1-inch split ring hanger threaded for 3/8-16 inch rod (I got mine from Grainger online)
  • Plate flange connector threaded for 3/8-16 inch rod (I got mine from MSC Industrial Supply online)
  • 3/8-inch copper coupling (I got mine from Home Depot)
  • 3/8-inch hex nuts (I got mine from Home Depot)
  • #10 wood screws (I got mine from Home Depot)
  • Tiki replacement wick (I got mine from Home Depot)
  • Tiki torch fluid (I got mine from Home Depot)
  • Useful: a hacksaw, tiki wick caps (I got mine from Pex Supply online), electric or manual screw driver, hammer, nail, a funnel

I chose to use these colored bottles from West Elm because they were elegant looking, but there’s no reason not to use an empty wine bottle. Simply put it in the dishwasher to help remove all of the labeling and glue and you’re also set. It would also work with some of those colored sparkling water bottles out there in the nice blue and green colors.

Here’s a close up of your hardware. It’s serious stuff folks. Say flange 10 times fast. That’s the square with three holes.

This is the split ring hanger.

And this is the copper coupling being wrapped in threaded tape so that is fits into the wine bottle opening snugly. I like that word — copper coupling, copper coupling, copper coupling.

Okay, I’ll stop.

Once it’s wrapped with several layers this is where it will go.

Give it a good press to make sure it is in snugly. We don’t need any loose copper couplings.
Now, slide in the wick and tighten the ring around the top of the bottle.

If you want to have shorter distance from the torch to where you are fastening it, you’ll probably need to cut your threaded rods. I couldn’t find them in 6-inch lengths so I bought 12-inch rods and cut them with a hacksaw. This requires serious elbow grease.

But eventually, after you hack, you will have shorter pieces which looks nicer I think.

We decided to have ours attached to some trees on the deck so we chipped away some of the bark to create a smooth surface.

My brother used a large nail to create a starer hole for the wood screw.

Then he twisted in the wood screws with a manual screw driver. You may be able to skip the nail with an electric screw driver.

Next, screw the hex nut onto one side of the rod…

And tighten it into the threaded base. Make sure the nut is tight.

Then you’ll do the same with the base of the ring. You’ll turn the bottle around and around until it is tight.

Then you’ll pour in your tiki fluid.

I highly recommend using a funnel. But I didn’t have one so we did our best.

You’ll let the wick soak for an hour or so before testing it.

And then light it and give it a try. It’s just magical.

I love lighting them at night. I feel like I’m in a tropical jungle. It’s a nice way to escape winter in your own mind.

Give it a try! It’s a fun family project.

Pin It

Comments

1. Wow! This is a great idea.. Wine bottle torch is perfect for my garden… Staying there at night will be perfect having the light from this bottle torch. Thank you for sharing the steps…

2. Lyda Loehring says:

I wonder if you could use the oil that shoos away misquitoes? wouldn’t that be great…..

3. The replacement wicks for the tiki torches don’t really work all that great

• Georgia says:

They work great for me! Maybe try another brand or make sure you let them soak for an hour before lighting them.

4. Thanx for sharing, i kept looking for the instruction and finally found yours. In the past i have used a cotton mop from the dollar store for the wick to replace on tiki torches, not as long but it could work for smaller bottles.
    Thank You again. I will definately make.

5. Why can’t I see anyones comments?

6. LIsa Ellerbee says:

I can’t wait to get started, especailly since I live around the corner from a winery to get all my bottles~~and my new backyard will love these~~

7. Made these and they turned out beautiful, but we cannot keep them burning. They light great and then after about 20 seconds they fizzle out to nothing. Please someone help. After spending the time to make 15 of these I would like to be able to enjoy them.

• Your wick needs to soak in the tiki torch liquid for at least an hour before being lit so it soaks it up. Make sure you’re using the right liquid!

8. THERESA says:

This doesnt work. Mine burnt for less then ten minutes and the tape you use melts and the wick falls down through the copper coupling down into the bottle. Now what should I try?

9. Scott Visak says:

There’s just one problem the wicks are a little lose in the 1/2″ copper tube so it falls in to the bottle. So buy some o-rings #9 and slip over the wick then shove it into the tube and adjust. Nice and snug and no slippage.

10. Scott Visak says:

Home depot has everything you need, and I bought some spray paint to paint my hard ware different colors. Also they make the split rings in different sizes if needed for all bottle sizes. I suggest not to go longer than 6″ on the threaded rod otherwise it will start to sag. Don’t forget you can find some great bottle shapes to just sit on tables or what not. I find Ikea has wonderful bottles for very cheap.

11. Scott Visak says:

Better yet people instead of the o-rings just buy 1/2 by 1/4 the wick is very tight in the 1/4″ side. Then tape 1/2″ side and install in bottle.

12. Lanette says:

Thanks for posting this. I originally found this idea on this site: http://www.gerardotandco.com/blog/recycled-bottle-torch/ . Glad to have your take on it, and also telling where you bought the supplies. I was having a hard time finding many of the items at Lowes and ended up ordering from Grainger some sample items so I can test it out before buying too many. Now I will check Home Depot.
    Couple of questions…I am finding the 1″ split ring to be too wide for some of the wine bottles I have. In one picture, it looks like you wrapped some of the teflon tape around the neck of the bottle to make it fit. Is that the case?
    Also, I see you went with the copper hanger plate. How is that holding up outside? I understand copper can often change colors outside. I live in South Texas, so was hesitant to use the copper in case it turns green immediately in the humidity and is no longer attractive.

13. Lanette says:

Might want to try looking at a craft or hobby store, like hobby lobby, where they sell candle making supplies.
    I also found this site online that sells wicks in reels so you can cut to the length you want:

14. Georgia says:

Everything is holding up nicely, but I have to say I think that it is pretty when copper turns green! And yes, we used the tape to wrap the neck of the bottle.

15. Georgia says:

Good idea on cutting your own wick to size!

16. I’ve seen several tutorials on this but your’s far exceeds the others!!! Thank you so much….I partially wrapped my bottles with burlap and/or etched them for an added bit of character!! Super cute;-)

17. Georgia says: