Since we’re officially in Spring now, herbs are going to take over my life. I love every minute of it.
They are growing like wildfire on my deck and on a stump in the front of my house. It thrills me to the core.
So I’m going to do everything I can to embrace them. First up: Herbal Sugars.
This makes a wonderful gift and is so versatile in terms of what you can put in there. Of course you can also keep it for yourself and start your mornings by sprinkling the herbal sugar on some buttered toast and in your tea. Does life get any better than that?
Give it a try! And Happy Spring.
This makes a wonderful gift and is versatile. It can also be used with spices and vanilla bean.
- 1 cup white sugar
- Fresh herbs like sage, thyme, lavender, scented geranium leaves, lemon verbena, bay leaf
- Pick herbs at their peak, when most fragrant.
- Trim of any debris or brown bits and give them a light rinse and pat dry.
- Lay out on a wire rack or paper town overnight to let their oils concentrate.
- In a half pint jar, place a layer of herbs at the bottom.
- Pour over a 1/4-inch layer of sugar evenly.
- Repeat the layers of herbs and sugar until the jar is full. Finish the top with a layer of sugar. Seal the jar and store in a cool dark place for 2 weeks so that the sugar can absorb the flavor.
- Store for up to one year, and use the sugar to sprinkle on buttered toast, scones, in tea, cakes, and cookies.