I spend a lot of time thinking about the edibles in my back yard that I may have not yet discovered. It amazes me how much we have around us that we are not longer familiar with, and that it was only a generation or two ago that our grandparents could identify plants and make use of them rather than going to the grocery store. So in the spirit of all of the beautiful bounty that is finally starting to pop up after quite a long, cold winter, I am sharing my Wild Mint and Dark Chocolate Milkshake with you today so you can get inspired by the mint in your garden!
Wild Mint and Dark Chocolate Milkshake:
Wild mint contains several bioactive compounds, including menthol, an antibacterial. It is also known to aid digestion, while the aroma serves as a mood booster. Wild mint flourishes in open fields, sunny gardens, and moist woods. Plants in the mint family have square stalks, which make them easy to identify. Their leaves will also smell strongly like mint when pressed together in your hands. Every mint variety will taste different, so chew on a leaf and see if it suits your fancy. Then blend it into this delicious chocolate milkshake.
What is your favorite recipe to make from #WildFood? Share with me in the comments or by tagging me on social media!
- ½ cup fresh wild mint leaves, plus additional for garnish
- ½ cup milk (whichever type you prefer)
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate ice cream
- Dark chocolate shavings for garnish (optional)
- Combine the mint leaves, milk, cayenne, and brandy in a blender and mix on high for about 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- Add the ice cream and blend for 10 seconds.
- Pour into a tall glass, garnish with mint and chocolate shavings, and serve.