I am always so inspired by family farmers who are willing to do the hard work to live off the best their hands can produce. Ralston Family Farms has a special place in my heart because of their dedication to making beautiful food, and because it is a lot of women! We are working together this year on my Adventure Getaway, showing how the rice capital of the world is right here in the U.S., making it an especially good place for duck hunting. It is all part of the cycle of life. Click on my Instagram stories to watch my step-by-step recipe, and then try it for yourself, details below.
“Heirloom Rice with Balsamic Mushrooms + Scallions”
- 1 cup of Ralston Family Farms Nature's Blend rice
- 2 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms any kind
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch scallions green part sliced thinly
- In a medium saucepan combine the rice and chicken stock and bring to a boil, stirring once.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove from heat and let steam while covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan heat the oil and add the mushrooms. Stir briefly, sprinkle with salt to help release the juices and then let cook without stirring so brown bits form, that's where the flavor is.
- Deglaze the pan with balsamic and stir. It will quickly reduce and caramelize. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a serving bowl combine the rice, balsamic mushrooms and most of the scallions. Sprinkle the remaining scallions on top and serve warm or room temperature.