I’m all about hacking my way into ice cream without an ice cream maker. Earlier this year I taught you how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker, and have shared my all-time favorite ice cream flavor recipe: lemon basil ice cream. Today I thought I’d share my recipe for Mint Ice Milk. This egg-free ice cream is quick and easy to make. It is a slightly sweet and refreshing after-dinner palate cleanser that makes use of summertime’s fresh mint, which overruns the garden wherever it grows. Many flavorings suit this recipe, so experiment with other favorite herbs as well: spearmint, lemon verbena, or sage perhaps. And the best part is that you don’t need an ice cream machine to make it.
Mint Ice Milk:
It is the shortest and simplest ingredient list, so be sure to use high quality ingredients so they can speak for themselves.
- 4 cups whole milk, buy something beautiful and fresh from the farmers market if you can!
- 1 cup torn fresh mint leaves, pull them from your garden or a friend’s garden if you can!
- ½ cup sugar, use fresh stevia leaves and let them infuse in the milk if you wanted to go without sugar, my grandma would be proud of you!
This is such a refreshing easy hot weather recipe, and a great palate cleanser to serve at a dinner party between courses if you’re feeling fancy.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup sugar
- Combine the milk, mint, and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover partially with a lid, and let the milk infuse with the mint for 20 minutes.
- Pour the mint milk into a blender and blend until uniform. Let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then pour the liquid into a freezer-safe container or baking pan.
- Place in the freezer until solid and cover the container to store.
- When ready to serve, let the ice milk sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes, then scrape with a large spoon. It will be slightly slushy, but not as slushy as a granita.