I have been making all kinds of recipes with figs, from this lemony jam to this fontina fig pizza to these caramelized blistered figs with gorgonzola. Today I’m sharing my recipe for Fig and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette. Have you ever had quinoa? Quinoa originated from the Andean region of South America about six thousand years ago. It is grown for its edible seeds but is actually not a true grain; in fact, it is in the same family as spinach and beets. Packed with incredible nutritional value, including protein, it is malleable, so it will take on so many flavors, and its subtle crunch makes it delicious when mixed in salads along with other vegetables. I have even seen it incorporated into desserts and breakfast cereal. The lemony dressing in this recipe will also stand on its own, so try making a jar of it in advance and drizzling it on other vegetable dishes when quinoa isn’t on the menu.
Fig and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette:
Try this recipe with whatever herbs you have on hand, the more fresh ones the better.
And be sure to check out all of my fig recipes here.
“Fig and Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette”
- 1 cup quinoa any kind
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 to 6 fresh ripe figs quartered
- 3 to 4 green onions thinly sliced, white and light green parts
- 1/8 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/8 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/8 cup roughly chopped fresh chervil leaves
- 1/8 cup roughly chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/8 cup roughly chopped fresh dill leaves
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine the quinoa with 1¾ cups water and the salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooked, fluff the quinoa and transfer it to a bowl to cool to just above room temperature.
- In a separate, small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice and zest, honey, and olive oil.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the lemon dressing over the cooled quinoa and add the figs, green onions, mint, parsley, chervil, tarragon, and dill. Toss and serve.