On my recent Adventure Getaway, not only did I bring back a lot of wild boar meat, but I was also gifted several packages of Axis venison. And ever since my trip to Israel I have been inspired to do more Israeli cooking because the cuisine there blew me away. So I used that wonderful combination of facts to make these Baked Eggs with Axis Venison and Tahini Sauce, which was inspired by the cover of the book Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi. For those of you who haven’t tried Axis venison, it has a sweeter quality than traditional venison or beef and is a bright red color. I just love it. Oh and before you continue reading, I just did a big WILD GAME FAQ over on my YouTube channel that you should check out, for all of your wild game questions, I love answering them so keep asking them on the video.
Baked Eggs with Axis Venison and Tahini Sauce:
What you can’t tell in this photo, is that buried into the meat is an array of spices, pine nuts and pistachios. So you run into a wonderful crunchy texture.
Try not to overcook the eggs so that the yolk is still runny, therefore you could pierce it and get a runny yolk everywhere, yum!
And make sure you keep extra yogurt on the side so you can keep adding dollops. It really makes the dish wonderful and a whole other level. And here’s the thing, you can use any ground meat for this recipe! So don’t let anything stop you.
How do you incorporate new and interesting flavors into your cooking? Let us know in the comments below! You can also tag us on Instagram at @georgiapellegrini, and be sure to follow us on Facebook and YouTube!
Baked Eggs with Axis Venison and Tahini Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic diced
- 2 lb ground Axis venison
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few turns of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pistachios
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons harissa
- 1/2 cup stock of your choice
- 4 eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet and char the tomatoes. Stir for about 5 minutes and set aside on a plate or bowl.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and saute the onion and garlic. Add a sprinkle of salt to help release the juices and soften for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the meat to the pan and break up with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add the cumin, salt and pepper and continue to break up and cook until the meat is well browned.
- Stir in pine nuts and pistachios, lemon zest and harissa.
- Add the stock. Make 4 wells in the meat and crack eggs one at a time into a bowl and then pour one egg into each hole. Sprinkle the charred tomatoes on top and transfer the whole thing to the oven.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, until egg whites are cooked through and yolks are still soft and runny.