“Venison Curry Stew”
This recipe also works well with lamb, beef and bison.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 20 mins
- 4 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 venison haunch cubed (about 5 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 stalks lemongrass cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
- 4 tablespoons curry
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 large butternut squash cut into cubes
- Cilantro for garnish
In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil. Season the venison cubes with salt and pepper and add them to the oil, browning them on all sides, about 5 minutes.
Add the lemongrass, garlic, onion and ginger and stir until it exudes its aroma, about 5 minutes.
Add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, chili flakes, and curry and stir well.
Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock, and stir. Cover and let simmer for about 2 hours, until the venison becomes tender.
After 2 hours, add the squash and cover. Let cook until the squash is tender and the venison cubes fall apart easily.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.