Also try: other antlered game, pheasant, and bison.
Servings: 20 -25 strips
- 2 pounds of elk lean cuts are ideal
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 sliced cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of water
Put the meat in the freezer for about 30 minutes, just until firm.
Once chilled, slice into strips across the grain - about ¼ inch thick.
Mix the other ingredients together in a bowl and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes to macerate.
Add the strips to the marinade, cover and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
Place the strips on a baking sheet lined with foil and place in the oven. With the oven door propped open, let the strips dry until they are pliable, 5-7 hours. Store in a plastic container for up to 2 weeks.